1. Need help? If you can't find your answer with a forum search, click here to open a ticket or here to send us a pm!
  2. Participate at Advertising done right v2 event for a chance to get 500 XP every week! Read more...
  3. Looking for help ingame? Here's a list with all staff members : Staff Members List
  4. Hi, Guest ! Please take a few minutes to read our In-Game Rules and Forum Rules.

Introduction to Online Game Hacking

Discussion in 'Coders Den' started by redsees, May 8, 2016.

1. redsees

redsees 0xCC00FFEE

Server:
    Rebirth
    IGN:
    Jackies
    Rebirths:
    Race:
    European
    Hey x30,

You are totally right in the first part, instead doing hooks we can directly trace the send/recv functions/buffers in memory before being encrypted, but that needs a lot of assembly knowledge. Furthermore, reverse engineering executable files need also compilers, linkers, function call conventions, Windows internals, processor (on which the executable file runs) and high/medium level language translation conventions knowledge. I'm assuming that the one who reads my articles are totally new to the whole topic with a bare background in C/C++ or any high level language.
    So as a beginner, I'd rather make a very simply interceptor and try to link between actions in game and packets' bytes than to dig into hundreds/thousands of assembly lines.

Concerning the definition of Hacking, that's strongly a matter of opinion. Personally, I'd like to go with the classical definition that defines the whole hacking culture as a community that's eager to learn and maximize their knowledge in a specific task in order to be able to almost fully understand it. What you do next is not hacking, so if we took your example, If I created a new model for a game in order to give me a specific advantage, I need first to understand how models are implemented in the game, make my own models editor, and understand the process of recompiling the models. Until here, that's called hacking in my dictionnary, if I then made a model to use in the game, that's an exploitation to the hack I've made earlier. So hack is learning and understanding how a specific task work. What goes after is called exploitation.
    MuP likes this.
  2. KratosTheLegand

KratosTheLegand New Member

Thx for the topic, I have been searching such guide to start coding from somewhere about SRO. I only have very bare C knowledge plus some Maths from university. I hope to see more from you ;)
    MuP likes this.